A well-known travel company recently ran a competition asking for people to list their favourite travel quote. The prize? A travel voucher and to have their phrase featured on the walls of the company’s offices.
I may have entered unsuccessfully, however it got me thinking about quotes that make me long to get back on the road again. So without further ado (and in no particular order), here are ten of my favourites:
1. “Travelling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
2. “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.” – Saint Augustine
3. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.” – Mark Twain
4. “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag
5. “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” – Michael Palin
6. “Of all the books in the world, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport.” – Anonymous
7. “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
8.”When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.” – Clifton Fadiman
9. “Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you’ve never been to, perhaps more homesick than for familiar ground.” – Judith Thurman
10. “Airplane travel is nature’s way of making you look like your passport photo.” – Al Gore
Over to you! What are your favourite travel quotes?